Settled in 1840, Poseyville, originally called Palestine, was set up along the New Harmony-Princeton coach line by James Smith. The town name was changed from Palestine to Poseyville when the town got its first post office in February 1843, due to another town named Palestine in Indiana, who already had a post office. The name was officially approved and changed by Indiana State Legislature on December 26, 1844.
In 1852, the town nearly tripled in size with the addition of two new plats, Cale’s Enlargement and Fletchall’s Enlargement. Today, Poseyville is home to approximately 1,070 residents. From young to old, Poseyville has plenty to offer everyone. A walkable community with a beautiful town park, festivals, excellent school system, multiple dining options, several churches, medical center, dentist, pharmacy, grocery store and much more make Poseyville a great place to visit and live.